Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Saturday, February 17, 2018

Using Violence To Make A Point

Pretty Little Thing by Steve Wands is shocking, frightening and a brilliant mix of horror and science fiction. There are a few scenes with graphic violence and strong sexual content, but I thought it emphasized what a monster the husband is and drove home the inner rage building up in the wife.

The Good Wives Club is a truly terrifying concept. Given current events in Hollywood, I think this story is going to strike a chord with quite a lot of people. Steve Wands delivers more than one throat punch with this short story and redefines domestic abuse.


Since the beginning of the year, I've been including the thoughts and impressions that occur to me as I read these stories. For example, a story might resurrect a memory...sometimes I have seemingly random thoughts triggered by an aspect of a story. Every once in a while, I write a little more about the specific story, in addition to the main review.

Pretty Little Things scares the crap out of me. It's not even a matter of whether or not something like this could be implemented - just the idea that there are people like Douglas who would jump at the chance to use technology to force their will on others.

Let's face it: it's already happening in other ways...

As always,
AstraDaemon

No comments:

Post a Comment